The grand gentleman for whom Pace's largest schools are named received his Certificate in Accountancy from Pace Institute in 1921.  A native New Yorker born on the Lower East Side, Joseph Lubin had attended local public schools in the city before enrolling at Pace.  With his Pace training in accounting and a law degree from New York University, Joseph Lubin went on to establish the nationwide accounting firm of Eisner and Lubin.

     He also served as chairman of the New York State Board of Certified Public Accountant Examiners and as a director of the New York State Society of  Certified Public Accountants.  During the Second World War, Dr. Lubin was Special Deputy Chief Investigator of the War Production Board and Chairman of the Appeals Board of the New York County Selective Service.  He also served on the board of the National Civil Service league and for a time was treasurer of the League.  His corporate board memberships included United Cigar, Whelan Drug Corporation and the Phoenix Securities Corporation.

     A great supporter of education, Joseph Lubin was chairman of the Founders Society of the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and a member of the board of trustees of Syracuse University, New York University, and Yeshiva University.  From 1961 until his death in 1983 Joseph Lubin was a member of the Pace University board of trustees.  In 1955 his alma mater awarded him the honorary degree of Doctor of Commercial Science.  Two years before he died, Joseph Lubin presented Pace with the largest single donation ever received from an individual, a land trust fund that over a fifteen-year period would amount to $7.5 million.