Q. What will the format of
the exams and what chapters will they cover?
Each exam will have at least one media article with questions (look at
Articles link from the FIN 648 class website). There may be definitions
and short questions.
Here's what will be on the Midterm:
- 1. Short questions on three of the four areas outlined in the Learning
Objectives webpage, viz. Introduction, Strategy and Real Options.
- A media article on Mergers and Acquisitions, which will focus on one
or more of the four areas.
- Two quantitative questions, one on Valuation and one on Real Options.
- The one on valuation will be similar to the Workbook problems
9 - 4, 6, 7, 8, 9.
- The one on real options will be similar to Chapter 14 end-of-chapter
Problems 5, 6 and 7.
Q. Are the exams open book or closed
Ans. Click here for more
Q. Can I do extra work to improve my
Ans. Sorry. I believe that in order to be fair, I have to give every student
the same opportunity to do extra work. Obviously, this is not feasible.
However, on occasion I will allow you to resubmit an assignment for grade
Q. What can I do to check my
understanding of the material and to prepare for the exams?
- You can do the problems from the end of each chapter and from the
Workbook. Check Blackboard for solutions.
- You can also try quizzes from past terms.
Frequently, the answers to quiz problems can also be found on my webpages.
However, this is only feasible for materials where there is overlap
with other courses, such as on Valuation. Spring 2006 is the first time
that I am teaching FIN 648.
- You can try to answer the questions at the end of media
- You can read current newspaper and magazine articles on relevant topics
and make up your own questions and articles.
Q. What do I have to study from
Ans. In each chapter, you should know the definitions and the meanings
of key terms, and be able to put them into context. Also, look at the
list of terms and short questions on the Some
Importants Terms and Concepts page. Also look at the Learning